Tuesday 18 January 2011

From a recent trip to K. Gudi Wilderness camp

Of all the Jungle Lodge Resorts that I visited, the one that occupies the highest recall value, is the B R Hills or K. Gudi wilderness camp. One reason could be that this is the only lodge that is well inside the forest. But it also could be that this camp has a character of its own and my unconscious self loves that. In fact many years back when I visited that camp last time I had an uncanny experience of looking into eyes of a big tusker from a distance of 20 feet on a full-moon night. It was one of those moments in life when one second becomes almost a lifetime!
Something in the back of my mind was craving for that experience and probably was pushing me for another visit. However, ten years is a long time and in this period of fast change even in my dream I could not expect  this place to remain unchanged. So I was expecting lot of changes, in fact this time I took a different route so that my mind cannot keep comparing with my previous experiences. However when I reached the place, the Maharaja bungalow and the layout brought back all the memories. Beside the forest appeared lot greener on the way, nothing major really changed about this place! I even was given the same parking place that I used ten years back! I was looking for some familiar face but the person who greeted us told that all staff changed one and half years back including the manager. I felt little sad, may be older too. We were allotted the Chamundi loghut and I must admit that the loghut was very comfortably designed, full with almost every amenities that you could ask for in that environment. There was a change though; last time it only had candle and lantern for night [ they wanted us to experience the wilderness as mush as possible, the manager said that time] but this time there were CFL bulbs decorating the rooms as well as common pathways. I guess this change was inevitable given that most of the guests come from very urban, cosmopolitan environment.
We proceeded for our late lunch and the we were told that there was a jeep starting the safari early and if we like we could join them. The incentive is they have jungle permit and therefore could take us little inside compared to other safari vehicles. We welcomed the offer and went for the vehicle. Ashish, our host and our guide greeted us warmly. He looked very young, most likely in his mid-twenties. Something about him told me that he is not just a guide or driver. In fact he appeared to be very different from the other staff in the resort. He had an easy fluency with both English and Hindi and an air of courteous self-confidence that is too urbane to ignore. He probably is a wild-life enthusiast who happens to be associated with this place, I thought.
He took us near a water-body after a long and winding drive; chances of spotting a leopard or a tiger are higher near a waterhole. We could see few spotted dears, sambars and birds on the way. While driving, he took shots of few birds and animals.and I was gleefully surprised to see that he was using a huge Canon 500mm prime telephoto lens that you expect only with a professional wildlife photographers. We waited near the waterhole but not of much luck though it did not bother me. The silent, densely green forest is itself an experience by itself. We came back to the camp well after sunset and I went back to the loghut to freshen up. The camp-fire has lost some glitz without the appetizing view of bar-barbecue. The person told that the smell of barbecued meat was a bit too enticing for the the wild animals and they had to stop that from last year.
It was during the dinner, that I was told that Ashish, our host for evening safari was actually the resort manager. Still it does not explain his above-average enthusiasm about wildlife photography, I thought. Soon I learned more and that was a Revelation! Ashish Abraham actually
is a graduate mechanical Engineer. He even joined a Tata concern but unlike many others he realized a bit sooner that his passion is wildlife and not a factory life and he would be happy with a job with Forest service. So he appeared for Indian Forest Service, cracked it and finally landed to BR Hills as the resort manager after completing the course. How inspiring! When people around are struggling day in and out to fit themselves in the square holes that their jobs demand and losing themselves every moment bit by bit, here is a young boy who showed the guts to stand out and follow his passion. It was delightful. It was reassuring. I felt young India is not lost. I felt Ashish is not alone; surely there are many more young Ashish out there, following their dreams, converting their passions into their professions. I suddenly felt more hopes for this country, a lot more than my cynical mind would allow!
C'est tout..Ah! not to forget,  do please take a look at Ashish's website, http://www.livingintothewild.com/  He has put many of his awesome shots there.

1 comment:

swati said...

Hi dear really your blog postings are very good and it will usefull to all the peoples who are looking for kgudi resort
when i was searching the same i got good inforation about the best Resort and spa